Sign in to follow this  
ShawnInfirmity

Zacro 300W heater and digital thermometer combo, $16.99!

I bought a new 300W aquarium heater for my 60 gallon tank and it came with a free digital thermometer all for a low, low price of $16.99 which I thought was a pretty great deal!!

https://www.amazon.com/Zacro-Submersible-Aquarium-Temperature-Thermometer/dp/B06XC7W8XY/ref=sr_tnr_p_4_2975477011_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1491361305&sr=1-4&keywords=300w+heater

The only thing about it is that even though I have it set on 76 degrees it seems to fluxuate from high 76's to low 78's, but that could also be due to the time of the day and the fact that the tank is fairly close to a window in my dining room. Other than that I have been really impressed with the heater and the digital thermometer and my clown loach has really perked up since adding it because the tank is finally in the preferred temperature range for tropical freshwater fish. :D 

Just thought I would share in case anyone was in the market for a new heater.

• Like 4

I bought a very similar one at the beginning of Jan and it stopped working once last month. I took it out and replaced it but when I checked it again it was working. Not working is better than overheating but I don't like sending my tank temp up and down. The thermometer has actually been really useful with the long probe.

• Like 1

I don't have Prime which makes it cost a lot more. I have a 300w heater I used for my 55 gallon tank that I've had for many months that still works perfectly. Not sure of the brand as it's like generic but I paid like $7 for it on eBay.

I've heard of so many heaters malfunctioning and breaking that were high branded that I didn't even care about the brand. As noted here, Ginger paid $16.99 for what ended up being a $3 digital thermometer as the heater quickly began to malfunction. 

• Like 1

I've only owned it for about 4-5 days and I've liked it so far but obviously can't speak for the longevity of the product. I checked the temp in the tank this morning with the thermometer and it was reading 76.8 degrees so the slight increase to 78 seems to only occur in the middle of the day when it is warmer outside and the sun is shining in through the windows/drapes. 

Update on my heater:

I will be returning it to Amazon this week because I seem to be having the same problems that @GingerFish had with her heater. It worked pretty well for the first couple of weeks but the temperature would often go higher than what I had it set for. Now, even with turning the temperature higher on the heater itself my tank is currently reading 68 degrees. I'll have to re-post this in the product and equipment review section unless one of the admins want to just move it over @Anna, @Kassousminou, @Buzzcargo?

Does anyone have a suggestion for a replacement heater? I might just have to get an Aqueon heater since I've never had problems with them in the past.

Edited by ShawnInfirmity
  • Like 1

I think Aqueons are supposed to be good. I like the Hydor heaters, they're the cheapest ones I've found that are still plenty safe and reliable. But I've only ever used their small ones, never for something as big as a 60 gallon. 

• Like 3

I have a small National Geographic heater and a 200 watt I think Aqueon one. They've both been good with my bettas but the Aqueon one has weird suction cups so it doesnt stick well at all. I've had both for a year and a few months now and both are working. 

• Like 1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300W-Aquarium-Submersible-Heater-Anti-Explosion-Fish-Tank-Water-Adjustable-/361392212560?hash=item5424a78a50:g:fssAAOSwZQxW3n2Y

I bought this one like early this year or December I think. Never had an issue with my 55 gallon tank. I put it in my 18 gallon tub and set it to 24°C. Somehow it got turned all the way up (brother? mom?) and I came outside the next morning to find two white happy swimmy ryukins in 89° water. Yow! Quickly turned it way down. The fish were totally fine. If that was a fish tank they were in, I'm sure they would have been badly stressed or worse.

Anyway this cheap one has worked fine for me. Another I bought didn't have polarized plug outlets and so kept falling out of the strip. Waste of money and time. 

• Like 3

"anti-explosion" ?? How often do heaters explode?

wow 89! I freaked out when my tank went from 68 to 80 but it just triggered boys chasing girls. Lots of excitement!

• Like 3

I took a heater out of a tank without turning it off by accident. Returned it to the tank - it exploded. They only explode in very rare cases of malfunction or if removed from water like that. Not a concern I say is a true worry. Ryukins are tough little fish. They were totally fine in that hot water lol

• Like 4

Amazon refunded my money the same day I mailed it out! I've never returned an item to Amazon before but I have to admit it was a pretty painless process. Finding time to go to the post office was the worst part. I'll take a look at the heater you posted @myrasosweet, thanks for the suggestion!

• Like 1

I threw mine away. Amazon is really good about returns but I didn't want to have to package it up and pay to return it. Plus I like the little thermometer it came with. 

• Like 1

On 5/7/2017 at 7:14 AM, myrasosweet said:

Another I bought didn't have polarized plug outlets

What is a polarizing plug outlet? We have 3 pin plugs, only ever - I can't put the plug into the socket without the earth being in first- it opens the covers for the other two. Even if the appliance doesn't need an earth, it will have a plastic prong, just to open the socket...

A polarized plug is a two prong where one prong is larger than the other so it has to be in a certain orientation - really annoying because I manage to try to put every polarized plug in the WRONG way EVERY TIME! 

• Like 2

She's correct. With cheap Chinese stuff sometimes, both plugs are the same exact size and they just fall out of outlets etc. With a device like a heater that needs to remain in and its efficiency is important, you can't risk it falling out. 

• Like 1

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 3 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Important Information

Please read and indicate your acceptance of our Forum Rules Guidelines and our Privacy Policy