Sign in to follow this  
myrasosweet

Nigredo's funny toes

Might I add that the toes come with 4 pads. 2 directly under the toes and then 2 more tiny ones kinda under those. He cannot move the toes on his own. They can be bent all sorts of ways and it does not hurt him. He has feeling in them, but not much. These toes are from their wolf days.

In the rare case of rear dew claws on a dog, they are usually only attached by skin and are removed when the dogs are puppies. To see them with full bones etc is very uncommon in a dog that isn't a Great Pyrenees. Even mixes don't have the toes usually.

It also makes a surgery more of an amputation than a mere snipping off and thus is not recommended. The claws grow VERY FAST. They don't grow like the tiny front dewclaws. The nails are thick and hard to clip and grow like hooks. He doesn't much like them messed with. It feels like a tickle to him or something crawling on him I think. He does not have much feeling in them. He doesn't mind his other toes touched but touching these seems to annoy him. 

He's snapped them in half countless times. I always discover it randomly. I'll just check and boom... Bloody snapped in half claw. He doesn't seem to feel it or notice when it happens. He's kind of a wuss so if it hurt, he would tell me. I try to keep them cut but the rate they grow is insane. They are cute looking to me but totally unnecessary and just a pain in the butt.

He will be 5 this year and frankly though they break and stuff fairly often, they don't much seem to bother him and the vet still thinks hacking off the toes is absolutely unnecessary. 

*correction*

The Anatolian Shepherd and a few other very uncommon breeds have these toes on occasion as well. 

Edited by myrasosweet
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, myrasosweet said:

Might I add that the toes come with 4 pads. 2 directly under the toes and then 2 more tiny ones kinda under those. He cannot move the toes on his own. They can be bent all sorts of ways and it does not hurt him. He has feeling in them, but not much. These toes are from their wolf days.

In the rare case of rear dew claws on a dog, they are usually only attached by skin and are removed when the dogs are puppies. To see them with full bones etc is very uncommon in a dog that isn't a Great Pyrenees. Even mixes don't have the toes usually.

It also makes a surgery more of an amputation than a mere snipping off and thus is not recommended. The claws grow VERY FAST. They don't grow like the tiny front dewclaws. The nails are thick and hard to clip and grow like hooks. He doesn't much like them messed with. It feels like a tickle to him or something crawling on him I think. He does not have much feeling in them. He doesn't mind his other toes touched but touching these seems to annoy him. 

He's snapped them in half countless times. I always discover it randomly. I'll just check and boom... Bloody snapped in half claw. He doesn't seem to feel it or notice when it happens. He's kind of a wuss so if it hurt, he would tell me. I try to keep them cut but the rate they grow is insane. They are cute looking to me but totally unnecessary and just a pain in the butt.

He will be 5 this year and frankly though they break and stuff fairly often, they don't much seem to bother him and the vet still thinks hacking off the toes is absolutely unnecessary. 

*correction*

The Anatolian Shepherd and a few other very uncommon breeds have these toes on occasion as well. 

Sure is a cutey though despite his wonky toe claws :-)

my big toe on my right foot is kind of crooked...like it' is straight up and down for like half an inch and then it goes at sort of an angle......... i should take a picture of my right foot and show you all.....

my Dr. didn't recommend surgery cuz then i'd have to have a foot reconstruction surgery and that would have put in on crutches for a good 2 months or so

Edited by Kmeier2017

9 minutes ago, GingerFish said:

He's a wimpy little guy with huge feet so probably not a maine coon. From a shelter as a kitten so who knows who his mom played around with?!

This guy definitely has lots of Maine Coon. The toes, the way his face is set, the tufts of hair on his ears, the coat length, the fur growing out long between his toes. If he is fairly large like 15 lbs or if he has any affinity for water, this is even more likely. 

• Like 2

Aw, he's very unique!

Apparently a lot of mountain-type dogs have the rear dew claws (either double or single) and some herding breeds, though I've seen a few Shih Tzu's and mixed breed/mongrels with them too.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Important Information

Please read and indicate your acceptance of our Forum Rules Guidelines and our Privacy Policy