Kmeier2017

Keeping a saltwater aquarium

There's a whole lot more parameters to monitor, you have to track all the usual ones plus KH/GH, specific gravity, phosphate, calcium, etc. It's also much more expensive, especially if you're wanting coral. You need a big tank (saltwater nanos are really difficult, I usually hear 40 gallons as a good starting point), special lights for coral, live rock and/or sand, a cleanup crew, a sump (not mandatory but recommended), a protein skimmer, optional UV sterilizer, and saltwater fish/inverts are often much pricier than freshwater given that the majority of species are wild caught. 

A plain fish only saltwater setup isn't too hard if you've kept aquariums before, but I definitely think starting in freshwater is the way to go. As confusing as freshwater seemed when I first started out, I think saltwater would have been way too much to take on. But I think most of us here could probably do it given we have some good fish experience under our belts

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, Anna said:

There's a whole lot more parameters to monitor, you have to track all the usual ones plus KH/GH, specific gravity, phosphate, calcium, etc. It's also much more expensive, especially if you're wanting coral. You need a big tank (saltwater nanos are really difficult, I usually hear 40 gallons as a good starting point), special lights for coral, live rock and/or sand, a cleanup crew, a sump (not mandatory but recommended), a protein skimmer, optional UV sterilizer, and saltwater fish/inverts are often much pricier than freshwater given that the majority of species are wild caught. 

A plain fish only saltwater setup isn't too hard if you've kept aquariums before, but I definitely think starting in freshwater is the way to go. As confusing as freshwater seemed when I first started out, I think saltwater would have been way too much to take on. But I think most of us here could probably do it given we have some good fish experience under our belts

WOW....that IS way more complicated....

i think i'll stick with freshwater, and go visit my saltwater fish at the aquarium or the pet store!!!!!!!

maybe one day i'll have a saltwater aquarium, but for right now i'll stick with freshwater!

• Like 2

You need enormous tanks for the fish, in order to dilute any harmful substances. If goldfish were saltwater, it would be at least 50 gallons per fish. If any parameter is a little off, the entire community can die.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, tanki60o said:

You need enormous tanks for the fish, in order to dilute any harmful substances. If goldfish were saltwater, it would be at least 50 gallons per fish. If any parameter is a little off, the entire community can die.

gee, that's HUGE.........

if my tank right now were saltwater i'd only have one very lonely fishy....

that would make me sad and this confirms, NO saltwater aquarium for me...

• Like 1

Why do salt water fish need so much more water? Why are they more sensitive than fresh water fish? Didn't fish evolve in salt water? They've had a lot of practice there. ?

1 hour ago, GingerFish said:

Why do salt water fish need so much more water? Why are they more sensitive than fresh water fish? Didn't fish evolve in salt water? They've had a lot of practice there. ?

I don't know. Perhaps it has something to do with the salinity of saltwater aquariums making the fish less hardy, as any diseases that form are strong enough to overcome the salt. They need more water because they are more sensitive, why they are more sensitive I don't know xD 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Kassousminou said:

I think she meant an actual aquarium ...

Ohhh like the big ones with marine displays? Sorry, thought she meant an aquarium syore.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tanki60o said:

Ohhh like the big ones with marine displays? Sorry, thought she meant an aquarium syore.

HA...sorry, yes i mean the BIG HUGE aquariums that they have at the zoo....or at sea world :-) 

• Like 1

The process for keeping saltwater fish is pretty much the same for what ever size tank you use, from say 55 gallons up. Same amount of salt per gallon, similar temperatures and water circulation. External sump type filters have a greater capacity normally and are used for most tanks as are UV filter components. When you add the cost of salt, the extra time involved in tracking the water condition, the necessity of a UV filter and a Sump filter/Wet or Dry, you have more invested and requires more of your time. My personal experience was with a 125 gallon acrylic tank several years ago, and it required a lot of time and effort to maintain.

• Like 6

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 6:41 PM, tanki60o said:

I don't know. Perhaps it has something to do with the salinity of saltwater aquariums making the fish less hardy, as any diseases that form are strong enough to overcome the salt. They need more water because they are more sensitive, why they are more sensitive I don't know xD 

These fish have grown up in nearly limitless water for which they have adapted. When placed in the small confines of a tank they are much more sensitive and susceptible to disease and anything that the limits of the tank can be responsible for

• Like 1

On 4/20/2017 at 1:13 PM, Walt said:

These fish have grown up in nearly limitless water for which they have adapted. When placed in the small confines of a tank they are much more sensitive and susceptible to disease and anything that the limits of the tank can be responsible for

That's true. But most of the fish are tank bred, not wild caught.

4 hours ago, tanki60o said:

That's true. But most of the fish are tank bred, not wild caught.

Actually saltwater fish are almost always wild caught, there's only a couple of species that are reliably bred in captivity (clownfish, a few gobies, some seahorses?). There was a huge celebration a couple months back that an aquarium had finally managed to successfully breed a blue tang, before that it'd never been done. 

• Like 1

Would that imply we're not really providing an adequate environment for most salt water fish? If they were truly at home in tanks I'd think they'd breed readily. 

• Like 1

Saltwater ecosystems are super complicated and specialized. Getting them to spawn and stuff is one thing but raising the fry is a lot more difficult. A lot of species naturally travel through a variety of environments as they grow with different salinity/temp/diet needs. You need every obscure little food they might eat given in the right amounts at the right times.

• Like 5

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Important Information

Please read and indicate your acceptance of our Forum Rules Guidelines and our Privacy Policy