Ian

Closed Forum - too closed??

Folks, we are a tight community, but also a new community. Posting abilities are (IMHO) just totally wrong for a fledgeling forum.

(No idea if that "fledgeling" word is spelled correctly, but Chrome is not complaining....)

Like a stuck record (for those of you who do not understand the phrase, you can search here! (above))

How many registered members are now regulars? How many noticed that I am back?

Apologies for that, wife had a seizure, so no driving for her for a year, and much running the children around, (And, maybe business is actually picking up here!!!?)

We (IMHO) need to open up at least disease help and general chat to unregistered and unverified users - at least until such time that this may become an issue. Even then we have @myrasosweet the Troll Killer on hand? Maybe other forum topics should be opened, but last I recalled, nothing here could be read or commented on by newbies....

Just checked actually, guests could read a topic, but cannot comment as guest.

I propose a vote - to include guests into the ability to post new topics and reply to existing topics, at least until we have a significantly spam problem (IPS suite should help - forum software) or trolling issue, where @myrasosweet will fix it?

At the moment there is NO traffic (at least no new topics from "outsiders", and NO (t much ) discussion, which is after all why we are here......?

How many regulars? Me less than in the past, others more and others less....

I'm trying to post as much as I can, but finding little to post about, though only because I know little about goldfish, and have no issues (fortunately) to post disease issues about.

I don't even know what a Pearl Eye is, but I am here to learn!

My vote is to open the Forum more, until we really have to close it down.... When the ( I do apologise @Anna), Forum Queen ( I honestly cannot remember your title, but no disrespect intended) and Forum Guardians, or moderators, cannot cope with the spam and rubbish arriving - then, I do think it is time to close down a little, until the problem is solved, but until then, I believe we need to open up an awful LOT??

There is a way to make a poll here, but honestly I can't remember how. Equally it is not my place to do so, and also we have so few members that comments would suffice?

This is a "Happy little community" - we are all (hopefully) happy here, but that isn't enough - we need a little trouble and strife, or discussion? to make things "engaging"?

Just my opinion, if you have nothing nice to say, then say nothing? (But then much like the last time I posted this!?!)

Kidding - you know I can take a "hit" - really I would prefer to now and again!

• Like 2

I can spot trolls and time wasters easily and will help Kass get rid of them if necessary. But I honestly don't think it matters. If we get no traffic then opening the forum won't do a shred of good. I post only photos these days basically. I have nothing else to really post about. Just to keep a few posts up. 

• Like 2

Honestly we need to be out publicizing more than anything, sharing on other platforms and such. Like myra says, we're not restricting guests if we don't even get any guests. Someone running the facebook page would be helpful, it links back here. Sharing photos and threads and stuff from the main site, just keeping up regular activity there. @GingerFish if you were interested in that would you mind adding me as a FB friend? For some dumb reason when adding new editors it only lets me choose from the top 10-15 people with one name and since we don't know each other and there are a lot of people with your name you don't show up in the list.

• Like 4

@Anna  I'm a little wary of FB in general - I got stalked by a former client who scared me IRL. And I have crappy family who post passive aggressive crap when they know I'm active on FB. I can't commit to anything till the end of my radiation and chemo - several months from now - due to my intermittent ability to do anything at all. But if the job is still open after all that I could try to take a stab at it under an assumed name - is that allowed? I agree that seems to be the way to get to people - forums are dying all over.

I agree with Ian on this. Because of our different time zones, when I'm on, almost certainly no one else is, and I do see quite a lot of guests. Would it really hurt to let guests post? IMO most people come to this forum, see that they have to register and think: Screw this, on to the next forum. That's just my opinion.

• Like 1

I honestly do think that this could be the case. We could be wrong, but where is the harm to find out? We might even pick up some new members along the way!

• Like 1

I agree with Anna in the sense that we need to put ourselves out there if we want to attract more people.

But I also agree that at the time I'm on, there is regularly guests. So maybe opening would also help. And I don't mind the extra work charge it may bring ... I've not been doing much moderation wise anyway ;)

Have there been any issues with guest posts so far?

Sadly, I see that I "won" a day of likes, as i got three and @myrasosweet "only" got 2.

I know I have a ways to catch up.... but to "win" a day with three.!?

As you all know, I am a great impersonator, sadly. I cannot unfortunately recall what name(s) I used to set up the FB "site", nor actually if even it was me - I guess a senior moment??

@Anna If and when you get a chance, would you have a look at System/Social Media Integration. May be worth a shot?

Was I Kevin Bob, Bob Kevin or something different? I am sorry - I cannot recall!

But, believe it or not, Google+ is the most popular social network, by traffic - guess it is G pushing folks "home"? But an FB and Google+ "link" might be a worthwhile try? Costs nothing!

I no longer have the logins to either account to set them up. Which was on purpose, honestly!

Reckon the gfresource@gmail would work for google(+), and @Anna's login for the other? I never do the FB, or only once in a very rare blue moon, but it may generate folks?

Just suggestions - if you need help Anna, I'll give it a go with the correct login!

Would you know if Kevin Bob or Bob Kevin is an admin to the FB page? I would rather not use my own, as, well, I would rather not. I realise that is sad and inexplicable, but I do reckon that most of my FB "friends" would wind me up for having a goldfish passion. I realise that that makes me a closet goldfish lover, but some things I like to share, and others I might like to keep less public. Maybe one day I will feel strong enough to "come out", but not right now.

No offence to anyone who is used to using that term in another way, please, no offence. Offense? Like Defense?

Americans!

Edited by Ian

Forums are just dead. This one included. I'm not pressed about it. There's nothing that can be done. If this site stays running that's cool, but if it doesn't, I can't see it being unfair. Very few people post much or even visit anymore. There's really no reason for anybody to come out of pocket to keep it running anymore. So if resources dwindle and you or any off else finds themselves coming out of pocket for this site, it makes more sense now to just close it. All forums are doing badly as FB groups take over etc. 

I completely agree. I mean, I even got a new goldfish and didn't post about it-I didn't see a reason to. That's the problem. There's only going to be traffic if people come to ask for help. 

• Like 1

Exactly. I post stuff but it doesn't matter. Nobody even truly logs in anymore. Ginger, Alyssa, Buzz, Blue, Leah, and everyone else are either gone or rarely post. Nobody can blame them. What's to find here at this point? 

Me too - I can see that forums might be "last year", but, still, a good forum is useful to folks with sick fish.

I think (hope)??

I still check in now & again, I think the problem is that when everything is going well with my fish I don't really have much to say (plus I've been hugely busy lately)!  

I prefer forums to facebook groups and I don't believe that all forums are dying, I think it's just harder for very specific forums to stay busy.  I also post on a general pet forum which is extremely active, although unfortunately their fish section is very quiet.

• Like 2

I haven't been able to log in for a while - my old computer claimed this address was unavailable or something. But I'm on a different one today as my old hard drive is making alarming noises, & thought I'd check - the forum's still here! I like forums better then Facebook, but like other folks said, the traffic just isn't there any more. I have the same fish I've always had, so not much going on; I did find a different host (Flickr) to replace Photobucket, so I can post pics again.

• Like 2

On 17/09/2017 at 9:13 PM, blue said:

I still check in now & again, I think the problem is that when everything is going well with my fish I don't really have much to say (plus I've been hugely busy lately)!  

I prefer forums to facebook groups and I don't believe that all forums are dying, I think it's just harder for very specific forums to stay busy.  I also post on a general pet forum which is extremely active, although unfortunately their fish section is very quiet.

That is my problem too - I have no unwell fish, and have not needed to buy anything apart from food for the longest time - Guess I can't complain about "my problem"!!?

Nothing has changed - I can't afford another tank, so I can't get new ones - so it is hard to post anything other than replies?

Still lurking around here, but posting less than I used to.

Since we now have Facebook logins, should we now close the guest option? Who cannot use the Facebook??

Just had a look at the back end, and there seem to be a lot of guests - a LOT. Either they are not finding what they want and move on, or something else..

Some of these guests may be search engine crawlers, which still could be good ish, as we might be being found.

But if they are not robots, why do so few of them register, and what should we to to encourage them to do that?

Carrot or Stick? Encourage them, maybe with an Amazon gift token (even though they may just register for the chance to win), or force them by gradually reducing guests' permissions?

I have no idea what should be done, but, if these stats are half correct.....2018-02-24.thumb.png.dc9f2893962d74b6cff1b3a7449107dd.png

That thin green line at the bottom is members....

But what to do - I have no idea!

That was the longest date range the back end would let me make, but it seemed confused by my DD/MM/YYYY settings, compared to your MM/DD/yyyy It kept throwing an error if I selected a start date before 08/28/2017, which I wasn't doing - I tried 29/08/2017, but that also threw an error.

What to do? Seems we have lots of viewers, and few guest posters anyway - maybe there is nothing we can do about that? Except for the Amazon gift voucher option? Which may be a waste of time??

Edited by Ian

P.S. the movie "A Quiet Place" looks to be a really good horror premise? Just looking at my opened tabs on the screenshot....

Only reason I found out about that movie was Google told me that Emily Blunt shared my DOB. Well, the same day, unfortunately a different year.....

(thanks for all your birthday wishes yesterday!)

Ian the 50 year old "F**t

Edited by Ian

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

Please read and indicate your acceptance of our Forum Rules Guidelines and our Privacy Policy