mzwatts

Recommendations for QUIET and dependable HOB filter?

Hi guys,

I'll be asking for about $200 this year from the school site fund to help with the Aquarium Club. I REALLY need to get new HOB filters for my big tank, and if possible, all my tanks. My 40b with the two fancies is getting harder to keep up with maintaining, especially as the little one grows. I currently have 2 large sized Tetra Whisper filters which worked beautifully the first few weeks. After my first big water change I've noticed they've become louder and louder and now they are so loud that they are distracting to my students. I think sand got into them, no matter how careful I was. They still work but the sound is driving me crazy.

Can anyone recommend a sturdier filter that tends not to get noisy over time? I do have sand in my tank so does anyone know of a filter that is especially hardy? Either 2 large sized or possibly even one SUPER large HOB that can handle 50 gallons?

Thanks in advance!

edit: I tried the vaseline trick to no avail! I think the sand really messed them up.

Edited by mzwatts

What kind of sand are you using? Heavy sand like pool filter sand is less likely to get into your HOB filter. In addition, the intake tubes need to be pulled up off the bottom. Aqueon 55/75 has this capability. Many find that a pre filter sponge is needed or the sand gets in regardless. This will reduce your GPH slightly and will need cleaning from time to time. 

There's also the option to remove the sand entirely. This is especially true if you are finding maintenance harder like you said. The less substrate in a tank, the cleaner. 

• Like 1

Don't worry it's not anything you did. Tetra filters are just kinda crappy. I had a little whisper too for a while, it started buzzing in a bare bottom hospital tank within a couple months. 

Go for either an Aquaclear or an Aqueon Quietflow :) Either a single AC 110 or two Quietflow 50s will do the trick, the pricing is about the same between the two if you order from amazon. Personally I like Aquaclear better 

• Like 1

For a 40 gallon tank I would personally do two aquaclear 50's for several reasons, including:

1. One Aquaclear 50 would be fine for a 40 gallon tank with normal freshwater fish, but we all know that goldfish produce a lot of waste and need more filtration.

2. Two filters is always better than one, double the filtration should mean cleaner and clearer water AND happier and healthier fish. 

3. With two filters, if one filter stops running for any reason the other filter will keep running (assuming it was not a general power failure) and will be adequate for a short period of time until you can get the other one running again.

4. Aquaclear filters are SUPER customizable (is that even a word?) and allow you to pick a variety of media configurations. I typically run mine with the Aquaclear sponge and two to three types of biological filtration (no chemical filtration unless I'm using carbon to remove medications).

• Like 2

So Shawn for Aquaclear, and Tanki60o for Aqueon.

I feel I am suffering severe Deja Vu!

Only kidding, but two smaller filters might be a good idea for fish that are not at "home" - if one was to fail over the weekend, the other would take up the slack? Until the issue was noticed on Monday morning.

I don't know either of the brands in question - I have never seen either where I live, but two small ones to me seem a good idea, or two big ones, if money grew on trees?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ian said:

So Shawn for Aquaclear, and Tanki60o for Aqueon.

I feel I am suffering severe Deja Vu!

Only kidding, but two smaller filters might be a good idea for fish that are not at "home" - if one was to fail over the weekend, the other would take up the slack? Until the issue was noticed on Monday morning.

I don't know either of the brands in question - I have never seen either where I live, but two small ones to me seem a good idea, or two big ones, if money grew on trees?

Oops sorry if this topic was covered before!

Thanks all for your opinions. I totally agree with the 2 Aquaclear idea as I have had one fail over the weekend on more than one occasion. When my club 'funds' go through I will go back to that set up. ATM I've gone with one large Aqueon Quietflow 75 because I had to get something set up before Back to School Night, I didn't want the parents thinking I had a noisy distracting classroom. So far it is nice and quiet, only the sound of the trickle of the water which is actually relaxing, not distracting. And the water has cleared up SO much. My water tends to get green fast, the repashy gel just does that. But when my funds get approved I'm going to double up for sure!

• Like 2

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

Please read and indicate your acceptance of our Forum Rules Guidelines and our Privacy Policy