Sign in to follow this  
Guest Johnlockedtbh

I'm having trouble diagnosing my goldfish

Guest Johnlockedtbh

Hello!

My little goldfish has a bit of a problem: 

I originally put him in quarantine because I was suspecting fin rot because of white borders on his fins. I treated it and it went away. Then I noticed white stringy poop a few times, but not always. I thought maybe it was flagellates but it seems to have gone away so I think it was just stress from moving him and treating him.

But while these stringy poops started to disappear, a new problem became apparent: White, not quite opaque but a bit translucent white spots on his fins. One big one on his tail and a few on his pectoral fin. The ones on his pectoral fin seem to get better for a day sometimes and then come back in the same spot.

I checked his poop for parasites twice, his skin also twice under the microscope and found nothing.

I treated with esha 2000(parasites/fungi/bacteria) for 4 days and after the 3rd day I added esha exit (ich/velvet) but it doesn't seem to really work...

I've also noticed that most of the time his behaviour is totally normal. He's swimming about , eating, breathing normally. But sometimes I see him just, like, zoned out? hanging under the water surface. (he's not gasping for air though!!!) When you stick your finger in the water next to him he kinda snaps out of it and acts TOTALLY NORMAL again and it drives me crazy. 

Is carp pox a possibility even though he is kept indoors? I mean I don't know with what fish or water he came in contact with before I got him....

Can someone help me with this

Thank you so much for any answers!

Johanna

Photo

Guest Johnlockedtbh

I'm sorry I forgot to add:

Original Tank:66gallons, canister filter for 80 gallons

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 15

Quarantine tub: 5 gallons, cycled filter for 30 gallons, no ammonia/nitrite, nitrate 15

Goldfish don't truly get carp pox. I see the fish. Those blotches are often associated with flukes. The medication you used is harsh and pretty ineffective. I see you're not American. Can you acquire a praziquantel based medication? 

Guest Johnlockedtbh
3 hours ago, myrasosweet said:

Goldfish don't truly get carp pox. I see the fish. Those blotches are often associated with flukes. The medication you used is harsh and pretty ineffective. I see you're not American. Can you acquire a praziquantel based medication? 

Well I could, but I'm a broke 16 year old and I don't want to annoy my parents. I already spent so much money on medication that was recommended to me (esha) by one of the best fish stores in vienna and my mom is always annoyed and disrespectful to me when I spend money on my fish! 

Also I checked for flukes twice under the microscope and saw nothing. he also isnt scratching against anything!

This issue has been keeping me awake at night all week long.....

What magnification did you use to check for the flukes? Are you absolutely sure there are no flukes? Flukes don't always cause a fish to scratch, though they can. The fish COULD have some sort of virus causing the blotches, but nothing will get rid of them if that's the case. Those medications you used might be effective if you were treating the issues that they're made for, but even the best medication cannot cure a disease that it is not made to treat. 

Edited by myrasosweet

Guest Johnlockedtbh

x40, I know how to use a microscope properly cause we have laboratory classes in my highschool btw.

Hi Johanna, 

What a cute tiny little thing! Thank you for the details and providing the water tests. Nitrites of 15 aren’t too bad but I know when mine get past 20 my fancies start having problems fending off illness. In fact I’m still dealing with an oranda who’s wen keeps getting little fungus spots. I am swabbing directly with methylene blue whenever they pop up. I’ve seen my oranda zone out like that too in the past.  If your fish is zoning out or ‘weak in the water column’ as I learned it is termed, that sounds like he is really fighting something and the immune system is down, even if he’s toughing it out most of the time. I’m not familiar with esha but I know Myra’s suggestion of Praziquantel is not too harsh and has already saved my oranda once. I ordered mine on amazon and it wasn’t too expensive. It’s also very useful and will come in handy if you ever need to quarantine any new fish before introducing. 

Anyway, I’m not great at diagnosing from pics but if esha isn’t working I don’t suggest it again especially with weakened immune system. @myrasosweet or @Anna what about methylene blue swabs like what I am doing with Chai?

Either way don’t give up just cuz your mom is being a meanie!  Sometimes guest posters just never return to the forum, but you clearly have some experience and as long as you keep updating us with info we will keep trying to help. Also good idea about looking in the microscope. When you say 40x is that including the eye piece? Or do you mean 40X10=  400x? Just wondering because 40x may be too small to see anything but 400x should. 

• Like 1

I was actually chatting with johnlocked on another site and directed them over here for more info. Particularly to ask about the magnification for the flukes. Thought Myra or @Alyssa might know better on that? Flukes were my hunch too with those spots. I'd like to get the answer on that before suggesting a treatment. If we can narrow down what it might or might not be we can suggest the most effective, and hopefully least expensive, option.

• Like 1

If he used only 40x, he would have seen nothing. This is WAY too low of magnification to see flukes. As Leah said, he would need at least 400x. The spots look like fluke damage to me truly. 

Yes, if is is a compound microscope, there are 3 objective lenses on the nose and 1 in the eyepiece. the eyepiece magnifies the image by 10x. So Johanna would need to switch over to the largest, highest power 40x. (10x40). The lowest power would be 4x10 (40x) which wouldn't show much. Let's get to the bottom of this so we can recommend a treatment!

Guest Johnlockedtbh

Haha yeah I'm stupid, the eyepiece is 16× so 640

And I did a swab witg a qtip from the fins once, and took a mucus scrape twice (but not like, all in a day, spaced out, didn't hurt him at all)

They never explained magnification shit in school very much, just the shit thats going on with the slide.😂 

He is also doing really good today. I didn't notice him just laying around today (I checked on him a lot) And the spots on his pectoral fin have been gone for 2 days now and the one on his tail seems to fade a bit. 

Guest Johnlockedtbh

lol *dorsal fin

Can you tell english is not my mother tongue ? 🤣🤣  I always get that wrong 

No you’re not stupid, microscopes can be confusing with multiple lenses. Keep an eye on him, things can come back before you know it. Let us know how he’s doing. 

• Like 2

Just an update: 

All the spots seem to be gone now, I will do a biig waterchange today and quarantine him for..idk a bit longer.. 1 or 2 weeks as long as he is acting healthy and the spots don't return

• Like 2

On 1/28/2018 at 1:09 PM, Guest Johnlockedtbh said:

Haha yeah I'm stupid, the eyepiece is 16× so 640.

They never explained magnification shit in school very much, just the shit thats going on with the slide.😂 

When you said 40x I was going to ask if you eyepieces were magnified!

At 640 you should have seen most potential problems. Though I'm not sure a Q-tip would have created a great sample. I'm not sure, I've never tried. But when I did have an unknown parasite, I took a scraping of the fins (which has spots, fin rot, and had also gone cloudy). I just used a plastic spoon. This worked very well and I was able to identify the parasite.

Such a cute little guy! So young looking! I want to give him little hugs!

• Like 3

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

Please read and indicate your acceptance of our Forum Rules Guidelines and our Privacy Policy