GingerFish

Hillstream loaches video

I'm trying out youtube. I took a long video of my hillstream loaches because I think they're so amazing flying around the tank and chasing each other. And then the cat got jealous.

I hope this works: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It’s a 20g and just has the 6 sewellia. I originally thought I’d put them with the goldfish but when I got them home I realized they’re bite size for Nemo. So they have their own little home unless they have a massive growth spurt.

And they turn out not to be great at cleaning up algae unless they’re really hungry. They graze right over the algae picking out the aufwuchs and leaving a nicely trimmed, but still lush, lawn of algae behind. On the plus side I hardly have to feed them at all - they nibble a bit then go back to grazing. 

They’re so unusual and so comical at times. I really enjoy them. 

• Like 2

Well they ARE loaches ... which means that they are omnivorous rather than purely herbivorous. They will eat algae but you should treat them to some nice frozen food once in a while. ;)

• Like 1

They are the pickiest little fish ever. I've bought so many different algae wafers, made Repashy, given frozen bloodworms and dried bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, anything that will sink where they will find it. The wafers are the only things they show any interest in and it's really only the biggest sewellia (I named him Oscar the Grouch because he's such a bully lol). Oscar will push the wafer around and appears to be eating pieces that drop off. Mostly I end up vacuuming up the remnants the next day. 

The sewellia are fat and active so I assume they're getting enough to eat. I keep trying the various foods just in case. And I feed Bacter AE which feeds the aufwuchs.

They're the complete opposite of the goldfish! The goldies eat anything that drops in their tank!

• Like 2

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Important Information

Please read and indicate your acceptance of our Forum Rules Guidelines and our Privacy Policy