Sign in to follow this  
Buzzcargo

pH

Okay so some of you may know I recently moved across the street in August. 

Well, since I haven’t had fish since then, I never bothered to test our water. Well my mother wants a small fish tank in the kitchen, so I was given permission to set up my 5G for a betta. 

I tested the pH today, and...

C60A2443-E928-42BC-ABE6-6550E5C9E7B8.thumb.jpeg.555e0b718ba64e3fd212e51a913eb5c6.jpeg

Odd? The pH is so different here, I’m literally across the street. I’ll be testing the GH and KH in a sec. I can’t tell what the pH is though. High range looks to be 7.8, the regular pH test looks like a 7. If I view it from above though it is a lot darker than the colors given so I’m assuming 7.8 is correct. My old house had a pH of 8 that fluctuated to 6 overnight. I’ll be tesing GH and KH now

pH is a PITA, but my reckoning is between  6.4 and 6.6, but maybe closer to 6.6?

So for that reason, High range will always be "off". I think that unless you may be 7.6 ish, there is no point to do the high range?

Likewise, unless the high range is 7.6 ish, no point to do the low range? Once you get to know the water, maybe only one will be necessary, unless it is borderline.

Across the street surely couldn't make that much of a difference?

• Like 1

I was thinking a similar thought to @Ian, if the pH is showing 6.6ish on the normal range would you even need to use the other high range pH test? I've used both before but that's because mine always looks like 7.6 on normal pH and usually varies on the high pH range.

• Like 2

Based on @Ian's "Confused" reaction I'm gonna say we weren't thinking a similar thought or maybe the way I explained it was wrong!? 

If the "pH" test shows a 7.6 and you suspect it to actually be higher than that you would then use the "high range pH" test but if the pH test shows a 6.6 the "high range pH" test would be of no use for you because as Ian stated the high range test would be "off". 

In my experience, I started using the "high range" test because the pH test always showed 7.6 and that's when I found that my pH was actually higher and would fluctuate based on water quality or recent rain, etc. 

Edited by ShawnInfirmity
  • Like 1

No, I'm confused about the API, totally think we are on the same track on our thoughts. Should have just "liked". Changed it to a like to avoid confusion.

I'm going 7.0 to 7.2 and ignore the high range pH? But maybe 6.8 is not too far off. I love my digital doodah (Seneye) that just tells me - leave the interpretation up to someone, or something else!

• Like 1

I honestly think pHs about neutral are difficult.

Do you think that the pH radically changed across the street?

Highly unlikely, I would have thought. But again, neutral pH is hard to test, but I do not think looking down on the vials is a good idea - viewing them as you photo'd them is the way.

I have very good colour vision and I reckon 6.8 to 6.9 on the second one. The first one is more difficult as the card is a ways back from the vial? Still, I'd go very similar for the reading?

It is a pain that API require 2 pH tests around neutral - does anyone know if there are any other tests which do not require this?

I defo think your pH is "Low range", but that is just my opinion - let's see what others think....

What do you think it was at the other side of the street??

Edited by Ian
spelling

I have no idea. Technically it is a different complex. My current house is older than the last, the other house was refurblished a few years back so it is quite new. I’m assuming water comes from the same place since we’re so close. 

I thought that maybe it’s the pipes? I’ve noticed recently that a lot of people have been having trouble with illnesses that share symptoms that Pumpkin had. Not sure if they’ve added anything to the water though, or maybe I am unlucky. 

I also tested the water at our community centre, it’s a few blocks down the street. I didn’t have my API test kit so I used the one we had in the science “lab”. The pH is basic, I’m assuming also around 8. 

I’m not quite sure why the pH at this house is so much lower than my old house and the other buildings around me. 

I think the pH is around 6.8, which is great since my water is soft and it may drop in pH if the water is basic. It’s more acidic now so I don’t think the pH will drop too bad. I wonder why my water is so different o.O

Edit: the high range pH whether it is correct or not stayed at 7.8 for both days. So my water should be a lot more stable at this house. 

I tested it again. First pic is tank, second is tap:

801165D0-B232-44C2-8BF3-CFF56B01C80A.thumb.jpeg.ecaaafae979d366154945200ac8cb3e9.jpeg8A6304E6-ECBD-4AA5-BA57-FED0EDFF202D.thumb.jpeg.8226c6b19507f097d0e2664ae423a210.jpeg

I realize that it’s sideways. 

I tested the water from the pet store with my API test kit, it’s 6.4 there. I thought our area would have similar water hardness and pH.

I bought a betta for the tank today. I’ll do a fish-in cycle since they don’t produce much waste. My betta tanks cycle pretty quick, my old one named Maelstrom only produced 0.25ppm in 2-3 weeks. I wish goldfish were like that lol

• Like 3

Hi buzz! Really glad to see you back! And that you have a betta!  I'm dying to get one but can't imagine where I'd shoehorn in another tank even such a small one. 

I've had trouble reading the API pH too. I usually interpret my pH as about 7.4-7.6 but I still do both high range and low range because the colors just don't match very well to either. 

I tried test strips and they read 8.2-8.4 pH! So I stopped using them for pH, assuming they would be less accurate although i don't really know.

@Ian so you like your pH meter? I bought one but I had a hard time calibrating it. Do you recalibrate every time you use it? Does it agree with your API result?

• Like 2

On 2/15/2018 at 4:48 AM, GingerFish said:

so you like your pH meter? I bought one but I had a hard time calibrating it. Do you recalibrate every time you use it? Does it agree with your API result?

I do like it - my Seneye says the pH is around 7.4, so that is bang on needing to do both tests and trying to work out which is closer. Too hard for me. Though my eyesight is failing, well my arms are getting too short to read, I do have good colour vision, but it is too difficult. My thing doesn't need to be manually calibrated, it just works (according to the sellers), but as you will see my Ammonia is giving a warning at the moment. Unsure why, I did do a large water change this morning as well. The filter is definitely on, this time. But as you will see the amber warning is about a level of 0.022ppm. Which wouldn't register on an API, so all is good. But the slides I bought - that is the thing, a slide lasts either 30 days or a month. I bought a years worth in November - 108 Euro. Probably get that for 50bucks stateside?? But the slides are expensive. Having let a slide go out of date in the past the results didn't change or go "off", which Seneye said they could. In the past it would continue to read (accurately enough), just it wouldn't send alerts. New software means "No Slide, No Reading". The device is relatively inexpensive, but it is the razor blade principle - and the inkjet printer. This razor is cheap, but we'll get you on the blades/ cartridges....

But I am "invested in it", so take my liking with a healthy dose of confirmation bias - I HAVE to like it, cos I bought it.....5a8b21205e4c3_2018-02-19(1).thumb.png.d1ca45af8a982c904d7fd97e506665de.png

Quite why my "Digital Doodah" is apparently uploading 3 pH readings per minute, sometimes more, will require some investigation on my part.It is supposed to do one every 20 minutes or so, with immediate temp and low water level warnings, but that many ph readings....I just changed the top right ammonia graph to details, and it seems to be doing the same.

Off to compose a support request......

Not quite sure what went wrong, but Seneye told me to check the ethernet connections and reset the router - I changed the cable, and reset the router. That didn't help, so they pushed /forced a new firmware update to the Seneye SWS (Web server), and everything is now working. It wasn't not working, just it should update twice per hour, not 5 times a minute....

Good tech support! Last time I had an issue I had to return everything to them. They were unable to find a problem, so it seemed that my shockingly poor internet connection was causing the issue. Still, they offered to send me a new server, to see if that helped - I took them up on that, but it didn't help, but Three.ie tech support did manage to improve my connection. But better since then, as the internet connection improved...

3G is not broadband, not even close, but where I live there is little else, and 4G, well one bar.... 3G is faster. I live in the back of beyond in a small island west of northern Europe. This country has had a national broadband plan in place for 5 or more years - anyone who is not commercially viable for "broadband" will get fibre to their house, which is good future proofing. But all companies except one dropped out of the tendering process, and more than 5 years down the line, Ireland is no further forward. No-one here is at all surprised by this, which infuriates me. Earliest time to get "spades on ground" is now 2020, if I am lucky. It will likely just be forgotten. The Irish seem to have a phrase - "Ah sure", which covers everything, crashed cars, failed marriages and the national broadband plan. But my wife is from here, though she is no more Irish than me, she did grow up here, thus my address....

But my main point is that nothing I returned was in warranty at that time, and yet they replaced the server FOC. (Razorblades)?

Anyway, confirmation bias warning, I do like the thing, and I do like the company. They easily could have said that I was out of warranty, but they didn't. But I wouldn't have likely bought another. (Razorblades????) But maybe I might have stumped up?? I did have unused slides..... blades?

Still, not to have to do 2 API tests for pH and guess the result on the closest vial, and to get an immediate warning on Nh3 and temperature, I reckon it is worth it. Though now I leave the critters at the temperature instead of trying to  "fix it" - they have larger temperature swings in the wild, but I do wish my kiddies, and the dog might learn to close a door now and again... But the dog I can forgive..... Kiddies not so much.

It doesn't measure Nitrite nor Nitrate, but if Ammonia NH3 is ok, why worry about the rest? As long as frequent PWCs are done..... 

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

Please read and indicate your acceptance of our Forum Rules Guidelines and our Privacy Policy