Ian

Tetra Whisper air pumps

In the day oncology unit I visit frequently there is a lovely large fish tank. I have no idea what type of fish are in it, some tiny, some large. There is a tetra air pump sitting on top of it and it is silent - the quietest one I "have ever heard".

One time I was sitting there and it was noisy, but I noticed it had crept and was about to fall off the back of the top (of the tank). I moved it forward a little and it was silent. So much so that someone said to me that I should not have turned it off!

I don't know much about these pumps as far as reliability goes, but they are very very quiet.

• Like 1

I have a Tetra Whisper Air pump in my 60 gallon tank and I never hear it running, but obviously know it's working because I see the air bubbles coming up from the airstone. It has been running for several years now and powers my 10-12 inch long "bubble bar" airstone pretty well. 

• Like 1

I like them too, I have a bunch of Whisper 20s and a 40 powering various sponge filters and air stones. The only one that's noisy is my big one, a 60 model I think, but that one started making loud weird noise like 5 weeks in so I think it might have just been a dud. It's not bothersome enough to replace and it kind of fades in with the hum of all the other filters so I don't mind it :P 

I got a cheap little Top Fin pump basically for free a few weeks ago that I plugged in for a last minute QT tank this weekend, and whoo boy it's only rated for like 5-10 gallons but I can hear it in the next room. I'll stick with the tetra for sure

• Like 2

I have 2 eheim air pumps, and they are not silent, but were both less nosiy than the jackhammer Boyu pump they replaced. One became quite noisy, and as I had lost the guarantee - receipt, I opened it up - easy to do. I found that the magents which oscillate in and out to move the bellows were fitted in a plastic holder mounted to the spring. Both plastic holders were slightly cracked. A bit of superglue and a bit of electrical tape wound round the mounts quieted it back down.

I'd love to say it has performed flawlessly since, but I took out all the bubbles when I removed the gravel, and have not yet got round to replacing them - I liked the fact all the airlines were hidden, and the bubble bar lived under the gravel too. I don't think I need bubbles - the tank is cool enough, but I miss them as a decorative effect!

Anna, they are easy to open, just unplug it first obviously. dismantle and examine it. Maybe it was always noisy, but I do think a little bodging can help maybe, unless you own a Boyu. Man - the floor in the room across the hall from the fish tank emitted noise from that filter. Could hear it everywhere downstairs. Maybe as the floors are concrete, but definitely a brand to avoid. It was described as silent. And it was not a duff, as I bought another on the assumption that the first one was.

#faceplant

• Like 3

i gotta swap out my air pump....

the one i have now is SUPER loud and annoying....

Haidyn doesn't like loud noises and neither does Noah...

time to get a new one........ (AFTER we pay our NICU bill of course....insurance is a wonderful thing when you have babies!!!!!!!)

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 5 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Important Information

Please read and indicate your acceptance of our Forum Rules Guidelines and our Privacy Policy