Kassousminou

Operation De*nitrate

Hey guys! So I'm starting a little experiment in the hope that it will work ...

Before adding Hitomi to the tank, I was easily tapping 40ppm of nitrates each week. Now with Hitomi, it's even worst. I know that those are not dramatic numbers but for long term exposure they are. Specially with Kokai and her floating issues. So I started looking into ways I could get rid of those nitrates without increasing the wc frequencies. And Ian's post on the "full cycle" got me thinking ... how could I achieve this last bit of BB without changing my filter to get a canister ...

Well the answer lies within my new toy: an aquarium reactor! Typically used in salt water tanks, they are basically a closed recipient with a pump hooked to it. I chose to fill mine with Seachem De*nitrate. So if everything goes according to plans, the new media should be able to keep in my nitrate at 5ppm (according to the product's package).

20180604_223254.thumb.jpg.324a53d4d745abaa5d0c83d704515b5f.jpg20180604_223316.thumb.jpg.08c6f609c6e4d8c6f63463b039afdb2e.jpg20180604_223304.thumb.jpg.1e8f17792fb950a25b3c3c647f593419.jpg

here's the reactor https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00GYG54O6/ref=oh_aui_i_d_old_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 4

Its very simple actually. You simply have a pump on one end that circulates the water inside the reactor and back in the tank. The reactor itself is just a sealed tank. The key point is the use of denitrate media to cultivate anaerobic bacteria that eat the nitrate and convert it in nitrogen. And the media requires low flow to work at full potential.

• Like 3

Sounds like a plan, keep us posted on how it’s going! I did some reading on the de*nitrate and a lot of people said it can take months to show a noticeable difference in nitrates.

• Like 2

My experiment isn't going well, but it is the same claim with different media. We all understand that anaerobic bugs need low oxygen, a situation which not be found in a normal filter, but equally a filter driven by any pump would also be not a low oxygen environment. My experiment failed because of neglect - too many days in hospitals, but I am still adding ammonia, but not measuring results. Must get back to that.

Good luck with your tests - is that Hitomi stuff claiming to be a bug growth media, or is it in any way chemically fixing nitrate? Sorry, I couldn't find any google tings about it - only Japanese folks.

It makes sense to me that somewhere there must be bugs or something converting Nitrates back to Nitrogen, else the seas and lakes would be full of nitrates? Why wouldn't this be possible in a tank? The other bits are possible......

Edited by Ian

I sure hope you didn't find stuff while looking for hitomi xD Hitomi is my latest fish ahahahah

The media is actually Seachem De*nitrate. It's simply a media designed to promote the growth of those anaerobic bacteria in normal filter conditions. I pushed it a step further by using the reactor, which remove direct air contact and allow for more space to be used exclusively for this media. It can take a while to work fully as stated by Shawn, but I know that it works. So I'll see to what extent I can get it to work for me.

• Like 1

Ohhhhh, well then. Sorry I misread the post!

And you now know that it works, which is great!

Does that mean that we can get the last part of the cycle - Nitrates to Nitrogen?

Either way, we are still gonna need the water changes to keep the minerals and GH KH up, but I did think that this part of the cycle must be at least in theory possible??

Is that your finding? I have no findings at all, so far!

Well yes, it means that you can get the last part of the cycle.

But no, I have no progress so far. It's only been running for so long so I didn't expect anything yet.

Plus my nitrates are sky high because I'm fostering another Goldie for one of my friend xD

• Like 1

I'm really excited about this. There's an aquarium store in San Francisco that never does water changes, just tops off for water lost when bagging fish or from evaporation. They have deep beds where presumably the right bacteria live. It's been like that for decades. I'm wondering if the small volume in your reactor @Kassousminou will be enough to turn over a whole tank's worth of nitrates? Time will tell I guess! I wonder if cultures of these bacteria could be shared or sold since they don't require a lot of flow or oxygen. So many questions!

• Like 4

Much like normal BB's they could probably be shared ... the transport between place would probably have to e a bit more careful.

I don't know if it will be enough ... but if I can at least get some reduction I'll be happy ahahah.

I mean ... nature found a way,so it is totally possible to achieve that is captivity. Not surprising they did it :)

• Like 1

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Important Information

Please read and indicate your acceptance of our Forum Rules Guidelines and our Privacy Policy