Sign in to follow this  
myrasosweet

This years experiment

I am going to be testing out a "natural bottom" environment... As opposed to a normal lined pond. I've heard mixed things and as an experimental fishkeeper, I want to see for myself. I'm going to be slowly introducing the elements of what would be in the pond into the quarantine of these 3 babies and see what happens. 

I actually LOVE the fantail. I wasn't going to pick any fancies for the preliminary experiment but didn't want to end up stuck with anymore plain orange goldfish so I had already decided to go with Shubunkins. Never had a true Shubunkin, had a tiny weak London type that died quickly once. The fancy dude I just couldn't pass up. 

Got them last night but they're all eating well and seem okay for now. Very very thin as always but if they survive quarantine and whatnot, they won't be thin for long. Already named... 

Brownish shun - Rangli

Reddish - Uru

fantail - Kosmos

And this cute mushy man is an import. I don't trust the health of these dudes after so many stories and a disease that was impossible to fight and claimed everyone but I HAD to get this short bodied cute little flipper.

He is being quarantined AWAY from everyone else and won't be going with my Ryukins regardless. Even his water is not drained anywhere near anything the other fish get close to. He's on the other side of the house and on the opposite side of the porch facing away from everything. 

I MAY eventually put him with the new guys and Comets but he never gets close to my Ryukins ever. He's very young but I do believe he's a boy. His name is Gladiolus. He's a Chinese Yuan Bao I think. He won't be spending the winter outdoors. He's just outside for now since its still 90° outside. 

IMG_20180929_190007_kindlephoto-94602568.jpg

IMG_20181002_120219.jpg

Edited by myrasosweet
  • Like 2

Awww! So many cute new calicos! How adorable! 

Man, I envy you for having 90 degree temp right now! My pond water is already in the 40's here in Utah!

• Like 1

It is no longer 90° outside, but today will be past 80° and I am not concerned at all for the outdoor fishes safety. They'll be completely fine all the way until November at least. I am sure the Tosai will be able to winter just fine. I will not allow their pond to freeze though. We may not have a freeze this year. We don't always. Based on my experience, temps in the 40s do not harm healthy goldfish at all. Even small ones are totally fine at those temps if they're healthy. Your babies should be fine. 

All the calicos except the import are part of this year's experiment. I'm still going to do my type of fishkeeping. There's still much to learn. My site flooded with the hurricane rains and I decided to test it out. Uru is still alone in the "dirt quarantine" where I introduced the mud into their tub, but Rangli and Kosmos I chucked into the mud pit. So far they're all just fine. 

You can see what it looked like before I removed the surface debris. I am not really worried about stagnation or predation right now but I put a water pump with a shortage there to move it a tad and chucked the old net to keep out birds. In 2-3 weeks, I will drain it and search for the fish and then we will finish the project. Needless to say I cannot see them and I cannot catch two teensy fish in there blindly. They've been there 3 days and I saw them both yesterday for a split second come to the top when I chucked in some floating pellets. I figured it would help me see them and I can easily just net off the food. There is about 220 gallons of water or with two TINY fish and some mud. Not worried about water quality. 

When finished, it will hold around 400 gallons at least. Right now it's just a pit of mud with water, but it ideally is going to have bog and pond plants and some fishies. Based on what I have read, this will take a while to establish. It's such a small system that it shouldn't be TOO hard. Normally these are done on HUGE scales for Koi. We shall see. 

IMG_20181011_143110.jpg

IMG_20181011_143218.jpg

• Like 1

The Oranda showed signs of parasites. After no improvement with prazi or flubendazole, and kept worsening... I put him down. I'm not willing to spend anymore to buy meds to try on import fish that idk what they have. I gave Southwest two proper tries. Got two batches of sick fish. Done with imports for good now. They're a waste of money. I won't risk my other fish again. No way. 

One of the little Shubies had a broken jaw. I didn't notice it at first but you can even see it in the first video. He could not open his mouth to eat and he was getting weaker and weaker. After this failed attempt to feebly help him, he unfortunately died. 

WARNING: ANESTHETIZED FISH AND POSSIBLY DISTURBING FOOTAGE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi3u1YrICUQ

These were added to the collection to make 5 fish for the experiment. Weather took a turn for the worse and I had to move some heaters for tropicals so I decided to chuck these into the mud early. We had several nights in the 30 degree area. Terrible winds and rains as well. I haven't seen any life in the mud for several days. 

Today it warmed past 60 and so I went out to try and see if there were any babies left. Lo and behold... All 5 little fish were spotted and were very hungry. The water looks different now. Much more clarity. The net blew off in the storms and I haven't had the fortitude to go out in the weather and find it and put it back on. 

I wasn't worried about predators initially but the improving clarity now kinda makes it a threat. There are several inches of visibility now. They're all just fine. Needs a bit of cleaning now due to the leaves and whatnot falling in. It is quite large even unfinished. At least 400-420 gallons. 

In the spring I am planning to finish it. I am going to get some plants for it as well as a waterfall thingy for the middle of it. This helps prevent excess stagnation. For now, there are just a few tiny fish whom I almost never see and so all is well. I am going to be monitoring the entire thing. The water is actually nearly clear when placed in a cup, so I can do some tests... Which I am going to do tomorrow. 

IMG_20181117_144210.jpg

IMG_20181117_144135.jpg

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 7 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Important Information

Please read and indicate your acceptance of our Forum Rules Guidelines and our Privacy Policy