Jump to content
gamingneeds

Nitrite Poisoning in Goldfish

Recommended Posts

Hey all,

I have an 11-year-old Goldfish who lives in a 36-gallon tank.

I left town for 2 1/2 months and when I came back, his tank was super cloudy and he had a single black sore on his upper body and a small white sore on his tail. He has red veins deep in his fins and he has red discoloration in his head and his lower body (seemingly under the skin). My fiancee for some reason had neglected his tank while I was away (she's been around since we got him back in 2007).

I immediately did a full water change and have been doing 50% water changes daily now but I'm not sure if he's getting better. He did not eat a meal one morning which I promptly removed from his tank and didn't feed him that evening either. Since then I've only been feeding him breakfast the last 4 days which he has eaten all of every single time.

Ammonia was under 0.25ppm, Nitrite is 0, Nitrate is >5 and pH is above 7.6 (didn't run a high test) which I assumed considering I've changed the water so frequently.

I've attached pictures, you can see the black spot which is also elevated (pretty much the entire orange area is elevated and you can also see the redness in his lower body as well as in his head and some veining in his gills and behind his eye (only one so far).

I'm reluctant to do any treatment with salt or for possible Septicemia because while I feel it's Nitrite Poisoning, if its Septicemia, I'm hesitant to use salt because that will limit the oxygen in the tank and could make Nitrite Poisoning worse. I bought some API PIMAFIX but not sure it will actually help any so haven't used it yet either.

Not sure what to do next besides maintaining daily 50% water changes and hoping for the best.
Hoping someone can help me out here and maybe shed some light on next steps.

Thanks for your help!

IMG_20190312_200517.jpg

IMG_20190312_200521.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello! Welcome to the forum! That's a cute fishy you have there!

Any time I've treated a fish for nitrate or nitrite poisoning I've used some salt. From what I've read, salt can help heal the damage to the gills that the poisoning may have caused, and this helps make the oxygen the fish actually comes into contact with more effective.

If you're very concerned, you could move him into a shallow quarantine tub with a couple of air stones.

I've definitely used salt when treating scepticemia. I'd recommend starting small with the salt, perhaps only adding some every day rather than every 12 hours. Watch to see if he improves.

What worries me about this guy is that the scales behind his gills look like they might be raised a little. It's hard to say from a side view, though. Can you get a picture of him from the top?

And I've got a few questions for you. What are the dimensions of his tank, does he have any tank mates, and how are his energy levels?

Also, from the test results you gave, nitrite poisoning seems unlikely. Nitrate poisoning might be possible (that's more likely in an established tank anyway), but since you don't have a precise number it's hard to say. Nitrate poisoning symptoms are lethargy, curved spine, swimming in circles, not eating.

Anyway, hope things go well! He's a tough type of fish, especially if he's already showing signs of improvement without any treatment!

Be careful when doing 100% water changes, by the way. One large water change can risk nitrate shock. Better to do multiple smaller water changes over a few hours to give the fishy time to adjust to the healthier levels. I know it's hard to restrain yourself when you see your fish is in bad condition, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Alyssa said:

What worries me about this guy is that the scales behind his gills look like they might be raised a little. It's hard to say from a side view, though. Can you get a picture of him from the top?

And I've got a few questions for you. What are the dimensions of his tank, does he have any tank mates, and how are his energy levels?

 

His scales looked a bit raised to me as well. Not a lot but slightly. I've definitely considered Dropsy, but he's still eating (although we're limiting it during his treamtent), and he's still having bowel movements as well.

I started treating him with API Lifeguard last night as I read good reviews on it and wanted to do something. He has a 36-gallon tank and is by himself. We planned to buy him a 55-75 gallon this summer.

Energy levels are what you'd expect. He's pretty lethargic but has been eating one meal per day. After eating though he breathes pretty heavily for awhile.

Thanks for your reply. :)

Edited by gamingneeds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I cannot help this user either. This is not the only forum he has posted on. He has received help from other forums as well. 

He believes his fish has nitrite poisoning when his tank is old which does not make much sense. He never mentioned any numbers to indicate any of this. He mentioned a few numbers after claiming to have done multiple water changes.

He does not wish to treat the fish for septicemia despite people saying that the fish does seem to need treatment. Dropsy won't make a fish stop eating all the time. Can't see dropsy from the side and he did not provide top photos. 

He uses Tetra (not API) Lifeguard when nobody recommended this (almost useless) medication. What help can I offer to someone who is bent on doing things his way and leaves out pertinent information and photos? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I posted the only numbers I had. When I saw the tank, I knew an immediate water change was necessary. I didn't measure before the water change but I'm sure everything was off-the-charts bad.

I do wish to treat him for septicemia, where did I say I did not? I read great reviews about Lifeguard which is why I chose it, everyone on the forums has been telling me to NOT use medication, so not sure where you're getting your information.

The only other treatment was salt, which I've been using and someone told me to do daily water changes, which I've been doing.
How am I bent on doing it my way?

Your very quick to attack someone and it sounds like you have a stick somewhere it doesn't belong. I hope you can find a way to get it out.

Thanks to the person that offered good advice but Myra is far from sweet. lol

I won't be updating this post anymore.

*Btw, here's a link to my other post if you want to see Myra is talking nonsense. Read it from start to finish and tell me where I turned down advice?
https://goldfishkeepers.com/community/threads/ammonia-nitrate-poisoning-in-goldfish.14888/

 

Edited by gamingneeds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please read the thread. I encourage you to. You'll see that Myra is definitely NOT talking nonsense.

The user did not fill out the form properly or fully, then he used medications that nobody recommended without asking anybody (read good reviews? Where? Nobody on the forum gave it a good review!) all while now claiming he DOESN'T want to treat the fish (what? You medicate and then say you DON'T WANT TO?) , got the salt and claimed he would add it but then comes here and says he never added it, and when told to use Prime, mentioned stuff he prefers. And nobody really said NOT to use medication, but they may as well have because your water quality was still showing toxicity, so medication would not help. 

When users make things difficult like this by not giving exact numbers etc, dose things without asking, post confusing or conflicting information, and then childishly accuse of me having sticks in places, I do not attempt to help. Why would I? It is unlikely my advice would be followed anyway. 

The salt wouldn't have been a good idea if the fish was brewing dropsy. Any other medications would not have been a good idea because his water was still showing toxicity. 

Edited by myrasosweet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 3 Guests (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online

×

Important Information

Please read and indicate your acceptance of our Forum Rules Guidelines and our Privacy Policy